Previous coin
50 lei 2000
Călărășăuca Monastery
Next coin
30 mm diameter, 16.5 g, 92.5% silver, flat edge
denomination "50 LEI", year 2000, circular inscription REPUBLICA MOLDOVA meaning "REPUBLIC OF MOLDAVIA" and the coat of arms of the Republic of Moldavia
circular inscription "MĂNĂSTIREA CĂLĂRĂȘAUCA" meaning "CĂLĂRĂȘĂUCA MONASTERY" and an image of the monastery

This impressive set comprising 20 coins was struck at the Czech Mint, having a maximum mintage of 1000 pieces.

About the monastery of Călărășăuca

The nun monastery of Călărășăuca is dedicated to the Dormition of Virgin Mary. It was founded by Maria Cantacuzino at the middle of the 17th century. At the beginnings it was a hermitage of Saint Sabas monastery in Iași. Călărășăuca became an independent monastery in 1813. It is placed near the Nistru River, in the village of Călărășauca, nearby the city of Otaci, and also nearby the city of Movilău (Moghilău) on the other bank of River Nistru (nowadays Mohyliv-Podilskyi, in Ukraine; it was attested in 1595, and his name came from the Moldavian voivod Ieremia Movilă, who ruled Moldavia between 1595 and 1606). It was closed between 1961 and 1991.

The first church was made of wood, being replaced in 1782 by a stone church erected, conformingly to the votive inscription, by Hagi Marcu Donici from Movilău, who had also the blessing of patriarch Abraham II of Jerusalem (or Avraam, 1775-1787). The second church is dedicated to Saint Mitrofan of Voronezh (city in southern Russia, nearby the border with Ukraine), being erected in 1852.


Back to selection page!